Minimum Burial Depth Calculator
Wiring Method =
Minimum Burial Depth =
lookup = [[18;6;12;6;6]; [0;0;0;0;0]; [18;4;4;6;6]; [24;24;24;24;24]; [18;18;18;12;18]; [18;18;18;18;18]; [-1;6;18;18;18]; [24;6;18;12;6]]
Calculate the minimum burial depths required for different circuit types utilizing various wiring methods for circuits rated 600 volts or less. These requirements are based on Tables 300.5 and 680.10 of the 2014 National Electrical Code.
- Location: Location of the underground installation. Details below.
- Wiring Method: Type of wiring method used below ground. Details below.
- Minimum Burial Depth: Required minimum burial depth.
Location options include:
- Below 2in Concrete: Installation will be in a trench below 2 inches of concrete.
- Under Building: Installation will be under a building. The minimum burial depth for cables under a building is 0 inches, but the cables or conductors must be installed in a raceway or be Type MC or Type MI cable identified for direct burial.
- Under 4in Slab: Installation will be under a minimum of 4 inch concrete exterior slab that is not subject to vehicular traffic and extends at least 6 inches beyond the raceway or cable.
- Under Roads/Parking Lots: Installations under roads, alleys, or parking lots on areas other than one or two family dwelling properties.
- Under Dwelling Driveway: Raceways or cables located under driveways and parking areas located on 1 and 2 family dwelling property.
- Under Airport Runway: Installation under airport runways or adjacent areas where trespassing is prohibited.
- 5ft of Pool/Fountain: All underground wiring directly associated with a pool, hot tub, or fountain.
- Other: Underground wiring in all locations not specified in the other selections.
Wiring method options include:
- Direct Buried Cables: Direct buried cables such as type UF or USE.
- RMC/IMC: Rigid metal or intermediate metal conduit.
- NM Conduit: PVC or other approved nonmetallic raceways.
- Dwelling GFCI: Circuit is a 120 volt or less branch circuit provided with GFCI protection, located on dwelling unit property and protected by an overcurrent device rated 20 amps or less.
- 30 Volts or Less: Irrigation and landscape lighting rated not more than 30 volts.
National Electrical Code
These requirements are based on Tables 300.5 and 680.10 of the 2014 National Electrical Code. The N.E.C. defines cover as the shortest distance measured between a point on the top surface of any buried cable or conduit and the top surface of the finished grade. Where solid rock prevents compliance with minimum requirements, the N.E.C. permits lesser depths if the wiring is installed in metal or nonmetallic raceways permitted for direct burial and the raceway is covered with a minimum layer of 2 inches of concrete extending down to the rock.
What is the minimum required burial depth for PVC conduit located under a dwelling unit driveway?
- Location: Under Dwelling Driveway
- Wiring Method: NM Conduit
The conduit must be buried at least 18 inches below the driveway.
Minimum Burial Depth