Heart Rate Calculator
Gender = 0
Exercise Zone =
Estimates the maximum and minimum heart rates given a certain exercise intensity level (Low, Weight Control, Aerobic, Anaerobic, Maximum). Consult a trained professional before beginning a fitness program.
- Gender: Person's gender.
- Age: Person's age (in years)
- Exercise Zone: see details below.
- Minimum: Estimated minimum heart rate for the chosen zone.
- Maximum: Estimated maximum heart rate for the chosen zone.
- Low Intensity: comfortable pace with cardiovascular benefits and some fat burning.
- Weight Control: more intensity strengthens the heart and works with Zone 1 to build a solid cardiovascular base. 65% of calories burned are fat.
- Aerobic: progressively more intense. Improves breathing, blood circulation, muscle tone. Best zone for weight loss because total number of calories burned is higher. 45% of calories burned in this zone are from fat.
- Anaerobic: improves endurance and general fitness level. Pushes the anaerobic threshold (fat-burning zone) higher, allowing for a more efficient use of fat as an energy source at higher intensities.
- Maximum: (or "redline training") improves competitive athletic performance.
A weekend warrior, male age 48, wants to make sure he is not putting too much strain on his heart when he runs. Where should he set the minimum and maximum rates on his heart rate monitor for manage his weight?
- Gender: Male
- Age: 48
- Exercise Zone: Weight Control
His heart rate monitor should be set for 103 on the low end and 120 on the high end.