Stairs: Risers & Runs Calculator
Total Rise (height) =
Total Run (length) =
Tread Run =
Tread + Nosing =
Stringer Type = 1
Stringer Length =
Angle of Incline =
limit = 7.75
nosing = 1.25
Calculates the number of risers and treads. Determines the actual riser height, run, angle, and stringer length for both types of stairs (open or closed). The actual rise will not exceed 7&3/4".
- Total Rise: Vertical distance from the top floor to the bottom floor.
- Total Run: Total horizontal distance.
- Number of Risers: Total number of risers needed. It can be changed to view alternative rise and run combinations. Selecting [icon--app-equals-known] will take it back to the number calculated.
- Rise: Height of the individual rise.
- Number of Treads: Equal to risers - 1.
- Tread Run: Width of the individual runs. This to can be changed to view alternatives.
- Tread + Nosing: Width of a individual run + 1&1/4in nosing.
- Stringer Type: Open: the rise and run are cut out of the stringer, or Closed: the rise and run are mortised into the stringer.
- Angle of Incline: Angle determined by rise and run combination.
Contributed by Gary Wiese
Total Rise (height)
Total Run (length)
Tread + Nosing
Angle of Incline